Sunday, December 04, 2005

The Daintree

Day 5 of the Honeymoon (aka 14 October) saw Cam and I set out for the Daintree. It was the first time we were referred to as Mr and Mrs Burgess too (yay the Tour Bus Driver!).

Cam and I at Port Douglas

Our first stop was at Port Douglas before heading up to Mossman Gorge. Apparently the Gorge becomes so flooded during wet season, that you can't drive up there!

The Mossman Gorge - the water reaches up to the tree branches in wet season.

After our brief stop, we moved straight on to the Daintree - I never knew how big it was! I also found it particularly interesting that there was no electricity once you crossed the Daintree River. There were little homes and schools in this otherwise tropical rainforest too.

We began winding our way up the mountain and stopped off at the Daintree Discovery Centre - although rich in information, I felt it was the kind of place that would be more suited to a school excursion than a Honeymoon but then again, I have a short attention span and Cam and I managed to finish all for recommended walks in the time it was supposed to take to complete 2...

Cam turns Lleyton in the Rainforest; Me wandering the paths of the Daintree Discovery Centre.

After the Discovery Centre, we visited a look out or two before dining at a very nice restaurant alongside the Beach. The day ended with a cruise along the Daintree River and a rather suspect spotting of a crocodile who looked like she had possibly been planted there...I found the day a little boring all up but it was great to see a new place and the rainforest was beautiful.

Cam and I on the beach in the Daintree

No comments: