Sunday, December 04, 2005

The Great Barrier Reef

On Wednesday 12 October, I with much trepidation, set out with Cam for a day at the Great Barrier Reef. Having always been somewhat anxious in and around water, I wasn't sure what to expect but the mere idea of snorkeling brought claustrophobia fears to mind...

After a 2 hour trip out to Moore Reef (inclusive of humorous snorkeling instructions "look at your foot, look at the fin...If they match, you're good to go!"), we arrived at the Sunlovers Pontoon. To say I hesitated in getting my gear would be an understatement but before I knew it, I was perched at the waters edge sharing a look of fear and a nervous giggle with a Japanese lass. After a false start, I suddenly found myself in the water - and absolutely having a ball!! I was one with the snorkel...It was if, innately, I knew how to snorkel!! I swam for over an hour, looking at the beautiful coral, swimming above it, swimming amongst the fish and even spotting a turtle. It was one of the best achievements (other than the wedding of course!) that I had made in a long time and I was very proud of myself.

Cam and I also partook in the semi-submersible boat and glass bottom boat for a closer look at the beautiful coral - a great day had by us both!

No comments: